Freeport Recreation Center
130 East Merrick Road, Freeport New York, 11520
3 Day Session:
August Offering 1
August 18th – 9AM to 5:30PM
August 25th – 9AM to 5:30PM
September 1st – 9AM to 5:30PM
This course will train instructor candidates to teach water safety, including the Basic Water Rescue course, six levels of the Learn to Swim program and parent and Child Aquatics.
Here is the link to the materials you will need for class:
Please download them and print prior to the first day of class or download to a laptop or tablet and bring to class with you.
We will also have the hard copies of the materials available to purchase on the first day of class.
- Water Safety Instructor candidates must be at least 16 years old
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills (on the first day of class):
- Swim the following strokes consistent with Level 4:
- Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke – 25 yards
- Butterfly – 15 yards
- Back float for 1 minute (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
Directions to Freeport Recreation Center:
From Sunrise Highway:
1) Make a right onto Liberty Avenue (1st light after the Home Depot)
2) A left onto Merrick Road.
3) A quick right into the parking lot.
From Merrick Road:
1) Take Merrick Road East into Freeport, (The entrance to the recreation center is about a quarter mile east of the rear entrance to the Home Depot, on the RIGHT).
2) Make a right turn into the parking lot. (If you pass the entrance, make a right at the traffic light and look for the recreation center entrance on Atlantic Avenue).